Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Christmas Cookies are the Bomb.....





                             

I love Christmas Cookies.  The ones that have a touch of Anise are my favorite as my german grandmother used to make them.  In fact, as grandchildren, we had complete "open access" to any and all Christmas cookies for the entire holiday at her house!  That was the most wonderful news to hear each and every year as we lumbered up the driveway after our long drive.  To know that at any time, day or night, I could go get a Christmas cookie if I wanted one, at age 5 was just the best and I will absolutely do this for my grandchildren.  She baked like a 1,000 cookies to keep up with all of her grandchildren's greed.  She never once ran out of freshly decorated Christmas cookies and I was amazed at that.  We tried, believe me, to eat her dry of cookies.  The german in her wouldn't let her run out of cookies and disappoint her grandkids.  No way.  I miss Bertha's cookies more than I can tell you. 

JD loves Christmas cookies, too.  He's the one who insisted on taking this picture.  That really makes me smile.

I've really got to get a move on as it pertains to the many different kinds of cookies I intended to make this year. 

I made a breakfast thing that would be great on Christmas morning:  Take a large foil pan and slice a loaf of french bread into 3/4 inch slices.  Dip each slice of bread into egg/milk and place in the pan.  On each slice of bread place a dolip of creme cheese and a spoon full of raspberry jam and top with the other slice of bread to make a little sandwich.  Top the sandwiches with sliced almonds and cinammon, a little honey and melted butter.  Bake in 350 oven for about 50 minutes (the sandwiches should be only slightly brown) if you need to cover to keep from over browning, then cover by all means.  Serve with a side of protein as it is VERY, VERY sweet.  But, the family really enjoyed it!

More Merry Christmas!


1 comment:

  1. The cookies with the touch of anise are AMAZING!! Christmas isn't the same without them!

    ReplyDelete