Total Pageviews

Friday, September 30, 2011

it all began 26 years ago in the nite sky....

somewhere between San Antonio and Austin, Texas in the cockpit of a Saratoga that Dirk had rented for our very first (blind) date and as I relaxed way back into my seat right there next to the pilot - my date - who seemed to NOT be killing us, I realized that life can be way more exciting than I was currently living it... on the ground, that is.  The sky is just so much better all the way around.  It feels so much safer for me to be in a cockpit next to Dirk than in bed at my grandmother's house.  That very nite he showed me that a simple change of perspective could alter my whole life as it did that moment.  I chose him on that nite to be my Peter Pan.  In loving him, I became Wendy.  Before the lights of Austin showed up... I asked Dirk that nite to explain to me if he was flying VFR or IFR and he said, VFR which meant to visually fly by visual headings, to which I immediately responded "sort of like 2nd Star to the Right and Straight on Till Morning?"  and, he smiled, and said, "exactly".  26 years later, he may be losing his aviation licenses.  I may never have the opportunity again to hang there in the nite sky next to him cradled by the stars just watching the world sleep.  I loved that even more than breathing... 

No comments:

Post a Comment